Top 10 Items Every Woman Needs (In Her Closet)
1. Great Jeans–The Mile High Style aesthetic depends on jeans as the backbone to any great outfit. Invest in the holy trinity of denim: Cigarette, Skinny and Boyfriend.
2. Motorcycle Jacket–The motorcycle jacket epitomizes edgy style. Thanks to American minimalist designer Rick Owens, the silhouette has become increasingly form fitting and feminine, although the classic boxy cut still has its appeal. I love pairing it with a pencil skirt for a strong and sexy femininity.
3. Navy Blue–Navy blue is black’s cooler cousin; less predictable and expected but just as versatile, navy looks good on everyone. And yes, you can wear navy and black together.
4. Booties–Hardly the flash in the pan that some predicted, booties have staying power. Of all shoe styles, they are my hands down favorite for their bang-for-your-buck value in price, versatility, and style. Half the price of boots, more comfortable and durable than high heels, they are a perfect hybrid.
5. Statement Jewelry- No outfit is complete without impactful jewelry. Smaller, delicate pieces are lovely (especially when layered) but they don’t pack the same punch as a cuff, cocktail ring or large necklace. For women over 50, as your wardrobe becomes more about impeccable basics, statement jewelry is more important than ever.
6. Stripes– Despite fashion editorials advising (at least once a year) that ‘they’re back’, stripes never left. I love them because their inherent preppy style provides a perfect contrast with other looks, like a boyfriend jean or statement necklace.
7. Blazer– A blazer is the ideal 3rd piece for any outfit. Accessorize it with a cool brooch, contrast it with an edgy shoe, pair with jeans or over a dress. Versatile, timeless, perfect.
8. White Button Down/T-Shirt/Tank Top– If Merriam’s made a fashion dictionary, under ‘classic’ you’d surely find the white button down. A perfect basic, it’s the canvas for an outfit, and the showcase for your best jewelry. It goes with everything, looks good on everyone, and is appropriate for every season. During the Spring + Summer months, roll sleeves twice or sub in a t-shirt or tank top.
9. Clutch– While it’s not the only style of bag appropriate for nighttime, the clutch will always be a top option to finish off your dressier looks. For cocktail and formal attire, it’s a non-negotiable.
10. Big Girl Bag– I speak often and passionately of the necessity of investing in a high-end handbag: it’s the finishing touch to a fabulous outfit, the make or break detail. With luxury consignment sites like ‘Tradesy‘, ‘TheRealReal‘, and ‘Portero‘ (among many many others) and local boutiques like Common Threads, owning one is more affordable than ever.
Submit a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
We agree with your wholeheartedly about everything on this list! This is the perfect capsule wardrobe that will take you from the office to a night out!
Thank you, I think so too!
#11-particularly for women of a certain age-Big girl scarf that can hide the weird stuff neck skin does after 55. Great list Liz-
Good call Julie, thanks!
Love the booties pictured – any links to specific booties you like? I haven’t found a pair I love. Keep up the good work!
Hi Rebecca! There are so many great brands of booties. Rag + Bone (pictured) are the gold standard. A more affordable option is the Sam Edelman ‘Petty’. Hope that helps!
Holy shit Liz, I have all 10 items. Woo hoo!
Yes girl, as you should! ??